Wednesday, January 1, 2020

GEO-LOCATION

 
I take a lot of pictures.

My days in front of a camera were numbered.  Now I carry it with me, an iPhone at the very least, and record all that inspires me, excites me, makes me want to remember.  Photos are my emotional geo-locator.  I can see where I've been - where I'm going - who you are - who I am.  It's an extension of my eyes.

My friend Susan always said I was blind as a bat.

There were few cameras around when I was growing up.  Or rather, not much film.  My camera collection is large.  The first Polaroid land camera... several SLR film and digital cameras... a 1938 Leica... a bunch of brownie cameras pre-1964... various Holgas and instant cameras from the 70s... my trusty Nikons D90 and D7000... a pinhole camera which my friend John gave me for my birthday in the mid 2000s.  They attach themselves to me like lint.  I let them.

I used to drive my husband crazy until he picked up a camera to carry the torch.  We sometimes plan trips just to see things we want to remember.  Too many to post.  I'm a terra-byte abuser.

I have a lot of friends from over the years.  I barely see them these days.   Might be time to start shooting portraits.


[Not a portrait.  But it's Stephen King's house in Maine.  Maybe a portrait...]

No comments:

Post a Comment

06.|. Discovering New York City

I have an early and highly visual memory of staying with my grandmother in Forest Hills, where she lived in a great big white brick building...